Tuesday, October 1, 2013

kissing koolers

When I was about 5 or 6, I was at the grocery store with my mom and older sister. We stopped by the makeup aisle and I set my little heart on obtaining the only thing worth having:
Maybelline Kissing Koolers
I don't really remember if they had a color to them (if they did, it probably made your lips look white) or if they tasted like anything, but I HAD to HAVE it. Preferably the one on the left. I was really into pastels.

So...

This is the point in the story where you think I shoplifted it, but no! I was much too sneaky for that.

...I snuck it into the cart by hiding them under some produce.

When we got to the checkout, my mom finally realized our little stowaway once the checker had scanned it. She paused her check writing (my mom was still writing checks up until I graduated high school thankyouverymuch) and asked where that had come from.
She looked right at me and asked if I had snuck this in the cart.

Now I may have been sneaky, but I was certainly a terrible liar and terrified of getting in trouble.
So I 'fessed up.

And instead of causing a scene in the grocery store, my mom calmly asked my sister:
"Amanda. Would you like this lip gloss?"
Spoiler:  Of course she did. It was lip stick. And she was 14.

I guess you could say my mom was pretty great at making an impression. And teaching me not to sneak things into the cart.

But the greatest thing we can all learn from this story is that I've always loved makeup.

When did you realize your love for makeup? Or are you kind of in a love/hate thing?

8 comments:

  1. hahah this is so cute! I have never heard of the Kissing Koolers before!! Lip Smakers were more my jam!
    Love your blog miss!!
    xo - Erica
    sweet-endeavors.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, lady! Lip Smackers are STILL my jam. :)

      Delete
  2. I've never even seen that lipstick but I would have wanted it when I was young, too! But maybe I want it right now? Ha!
    And I love how your mom handled the situation!! Now that I have a daughter of my own (who will no doubt be the sneakiest of us all!) I need to learn how to handle these mothering situations the best I can!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I want it right now too! When I was telling my husband this story I was laughing at how my mom's solution was so great, but at the time I just thought she was the meanest lady ever. Ah, perspective. :) Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. hahahaha I love this story. For me when I go shopping with my mom she never buys me something unless it is her idea. So I have to lead her to this shirt I like and make sure she passes it, then when she sees it she is so proud she found it and wants to buy it for me haha

    http://haileycheyanne.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom has a thing for blue shirts because she always says "this will look so great with jeans!"
      Needless to say I have a lot of blue shirts. ;)
      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. I don't know what these are, but i feel like i need them in my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I wish they were still around so I could fulfill my childhood dreams of owning all of them. I think they are the early 90s version of the Maybelline Baby Lips. But I mean...the original can never be topped.

      Delete