Wednesday, October 16, 2013

whip your hair

I am lucky to have been blessed with a mother who is basically the greatest woman alive. This same woman is also kind of old school in her ways - so I grew up seeing my mother wash, dry and style her hair every single morning (even on weekends).

So - every morning from about 7th grade until 12th I would get up, wash my hair, blow dry it and then straighten it.
Honestly, I'm kind of exhausted even typing that process out.

It was merely by freak accident that my hair suffered little to no damage from this daily rigamarole.  I even went blonde my senior year and my (naturally brunette) hair didn't fall out!
blonde baby. this is my senior photo. feel free to mock.
Once I got to college, I realized that I needed a new process. It was too time consuming to spend every morning with this insane routine (that took me about an hour from start to finish) just for my hair!
This is when I'm pretty sure I fell into a time warp and landed in the 90s because I discovered mousse and entered what I like to call my "crunchy" phase.
this wasn't even the worst. this was just the only time it was documented.
The thing that is so funny to me is that this whole time I thought - "Mousse is what is making my hair wavy. My hair isn't wavy at all!" Because when I was younger and even through high school - my hair, when naturally dried, was pretty straight.

But as my natural color reclaimed it's property on my head - my hair was starting to slightly wave with just the tiniest bit of help.

It wasn't until...I met my husband in 2010, that I realized if I just washed my hair, put in some sea salt spray and let it be that it would give me what I wanted.
awwwww
And now that I've gone a good long while without any real heat treatment for my hair...I actually get some legitimate curl in my hair. The other day I found a tendril that had done a little ringlet all on it's own!


What's the story of your hair evolution? Do you have a daily routine?


p.s. I know this was a dreadfully boring post. I'm sorry.
It's "busy season" at work and I'm just too tired to talk about anything other than the stuff that comes easy...like my hair.
So please, take it easy on me and I'll be back to better content soon. :)

2 comments:

  1. Wait. Why is there a question mark by the year we met??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was late! Also it feels like I met you forever ago (in the pre-existance? eh? eh? haha) so I always question myself when I actually try to think of the date.

      Delete